Friday, May 31, 2013

TAKING REFERENCE PHOTOS

I don't know one single artist who wouldn't take reference photos and later use those for touch ups .
I've heard of such, but sincerely think it's more like an urban legend.  I'm not an exception and  use lot's of reference photos , and sometimes I paint entirely form the photo.
 Let's assume a best case scenario and that you own a good camera . Even though it will give you decent quality photos , it still will never fully transfer  the true colores - So here is the little trick without getting deep into Photoshoping
Open your photo in any preview or editing programs and adjust it to make it significantly warmer and lighter..And I mean lighter! Try to print a large photo - you can see all the gorgeous colors in those shadows.
Anyway , here is an example of a plein air studies, with a studio touch ups .
"The Horsthief Lake" 9x12, oil on linen

"River Bank" 9x12 oil on linen
"Mount Baker" oil on linen , 8x10

'Columbia" oil on linen , 10x10
Please contact me for the prices - thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment